Friday, July 5, 2013

Shoes, learning and school fees.

So what do shoes have to do with school you ask..... Answer, everything. We were told by the clinic coordinator there was a grandma and a mama we needed to do a home visit for, the mama was suffering from an ulcer and complaints of not being able to sleep at nights. We showed up at the house to find both women sitting outside, bibi (grandma) in her 90’s, shelling peas to sell to feed the family. (check out bibi's shelled peas right below the tin cup in the basket.)
The small one bedroom house was being shared by bibi, the mama, an adult child with a baby of her own, 1 child in school and 2 small children that were left in the mama’s care after their parents died of AIDS. We start the consult and she tells me she’s suffering from anxiety because of thoughts. “What’s worrying you mama?” “My daughter can’t go to school because she has no shoes, and I don’t have money to pay the school fees.” “No shoes?” The school fees I could understand because education wasn’t free, but no shoes? This shouldn’t stop a child from learning. I knew there were certain dress codes the schools held the children to. I’d see them after school in their identifying uniforms headed home playing together in the streets, but I never thought that not being able to meet the dress code by not having a pair of shoes could actually stop them going to school. What difference does it make what you wear as long as the child has an interest in learning? (Kids headed home in their uniforms)
This was one of those times I was silenced by the complexity yet simplicity of my African experience. In the end I wound up buying the shoes, they were second hand and cost me about 5 bucks, and giving the mama the money for the school fees worked out to be about $18. It was hard to know that for such a small expense a child was being deprived of an education. Now that I’m back home, I get up in the morning and start my day with the thought of what to wear, go to my closet overflowing with shoes and choose the one that best matches my outfit. Sometimes I can’t help but wonder about the little girl who had no shoes while my closet overflows with the many I haven’t worn in years, something I take for granted. I often think of her mama too, shelling peas, the only source of income for the family. It’s pushed me to try to do something to help while home. I’m challenging you to help me make this difference by donating your unwanted shoes no matter the condition or the era. Let’s get them outta the closets and to a 3rd world country where mama’s like this one can use them to start micro businesses to feed their families and send their kids to schools. It also gets some feet covered in things other than old tires and smashed down plastic bottles. My ship date is August 1st 2013. Please contact me if you’d like to donate your shoes. Camrhyian1@yahoo.com

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story … and for giving even more incentive to gather more shoes for you!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say Wonderful, Fantabulous, Amazing work on this project! To think you not only met your goal of 30K shoes … you EXCEEDED it!

    AWEsome!!!

    ReplyDelete